The Sightseeing Bus is undoubtedly the best option for those who visit Barcelona for the first time. If you only have one or two days to visit the city, you can tour the most emblematic places and optimize your time when travelling from one point to another.
This way of touring the city is well known by travellers since it is available in most European capitals. Regarding to Architecture and Urbanism, Barcelona is one of the most important capitals worldwide: Its buildings make up a splendid outdoor museum we may miss if we travel by metro.
Therefore, you can find below a few details to take into account when using this service in your visit to Barcelona.
Concept “hop on – hop off”: the concept “on-off” wherever and whenever you want (also called Hip-Hop) allows you to visit the city with a single ticket, you can get on and off the bus at different points of interest. You can even do the tour without getting off the bus, enjoying a panoramic view of the whole city and taking photographs or videos of the most emblematic monuments.
Buses: They are two-story buses, the second floor is uncovered (in some cases it can be covered for rainy days.) Most buses are prepared to grant access to people with reduced mobility, including wheelchairs.
Circuits and frequency: The routes are circular (always the same direction) and have a frequency of 5-7 min. Up to a maximum of 20-25 min, depending on the period of the year. The first tour starts at 9 AM and the last one between 7 PM (Winter) and 8 PM (Summer). Important: the route is circular, therefore to return to the starting point you have to complete the full circuit.
Stops: You can get on the bus at any stop, but the initial exit stop is in Catalunya Square (Plaza de Catalunya), which is connected by metro to everywhere in the city and by railway to all the touristic towns on the Coast of Barcelona.
Ticket purchase: They can be purchased in three different ways: online, on the bus before boarding or at the tourist offices, at hotels and at all points allowed in the city. The online sales rates have a 10% discount, so we recommend that you buy the tickets through the companies websites. You can print the purchase bonus or show it when you board the bus from your cell phone. 😉
Price: (10% discount for online purchases)
- 1 day: 29€ x adult | 16€ x child (from 4 to 12 years old) | 25€ x senior (over 65 or over 33% disability)
- 2 consecutive days: 39€ x adult | 20€ x child (from 4 to 12 years old) | 35€ x senior (over 65 or over 33% disability)
- Babies under 3 do not pay.
The companies: In Barcelona there are two companies offering this service – “Barcelona Bus Turístic” (green or multicolored buses and three routes available with the same ticket) and “Barcelona City Tour” (red buses and two routes available with the same ticket).
You can find below the details of each company to select the one that best suits your needs (prices are the same for both companies). 😉
The Barcelona Bus Turístic is managed by Barcelona Turisme and Transports Metropolitans de Barcelona and it is the original and official tour in the city of Barcelona since 1987. Features:
- 3 routes with a single ticket. Audio in 16 languages. Informers from Barcelona Turisme on board.
- First departure: Between 9 AM to 9:30 AM in most stops.
- Last departure: 7 PM in Winter – 8 PM in Summer.
- Pass Frequency: Between 5 and 25 minutes depending on the Season.
- Buses: Two floors, 2nd floor with panoramic view and free Wi-Fi.
- Accessibility: Service adapted to people with reduced mobility and hearing loss.
- Duration: 2 hours each route except the “green route” which lasts 40 minutes.
- Circuits: 3 circuits “Blue, Red and Green”.
Barcelona City Tour It is the official Hop-on hop-off tourist bus service that will allow you to discover the city of Barcelona with double-decker buses with uncovered top and panoramic view.
- 2 routes with a single ticket: East Route (green) and West Route (orange). Audio in 16 languages. Informers from Barcelona Turisme on board.
- First departure: Departure at 9 AM from Plaza de Catalunya.
- Last departure: Departure at 7 PM in Winter – at 8 PM in Summer.
- Pass Frequency: Between 7 and 25 minutes, depending on the season.
- Buses: Red, double-decker and open topped. With audio guide in 12 languages (free headsets are delivered when you buy the ticket).
- Accessibility: Access ramp for wheelchairs. Maximum 1 chair per bus.
- Duration: The east-orange route takes 2 hours and the west-green route, 2:20h.
- Circuits: 2 circuits – East (orange) and West (green).
Now you know a new way to visit Barcelona and discover its charming corners. If you found this article useful you can leave your comments on our social networks 😉